This page includes files with specific examples, documentation, and other guidance that may be useful in creating your MTF Challenge submissions, or getting other students involved in working on it with you! Don't forget to sign-up for our email newsletter to stay up-to-date on all of the information and updates about the challenge!
This document includes details about the challenge, a recommended process to follow with your students, an example scenario response topic, and much more. If you're exploring participating in the MTF Challenge this year make sure to check out the new Educator's Guide! Educator Guide - 2018-19
This is the recording from the first 2018-19 webinar in which we reviewed the updated challenge rules, provided some recommendations on theScenario Response topics and highlighted some tips on how to approach your research and reports. We also had a guest speaker, Professor Susan Watson, from Drake University share information about the actuarial profession, and some of the highlights of what actuaries do using math to model real-world data. Check out the full video recording here.
This is the recording from the 2nd 2018-19 webinar in which we reviewed background information about our 2018-19 theme - Future Cures. We provided reference links for several core areas of potential future cures that your students may be interested in exploring. Check out the full video recording here.
This webinar reviewed Scenario Response Example 2 using the CMS data. This example provides good practice for using data that could be valuable in the research and report phase of the competition. We also had a special guest, Rebecca Owen, from our Challenge Development Committee, review the data from the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) that will be made available for the research and reprot phase of the competition. Make sure to check out the recording to hear valuable tips about the scenarios and this data. Check out the full video recording here.
Scenario Response Examples
Scenario Response Example 1: D.I.G. Mining
- Scenario Response Example 1 - DIG Mining - includes written description, questions, and answer key
- Scenario Response Example 1 - DIG Mining Data - includes the data set in a spreadsheet
Scenario Response Example 2: Analyzing Depression Treatments with CMS Data
- Scenario Response Example 2 - Depression Treatment Using CMS Data - includes written description, questions, and answer key
- Data Set 2 - Chronic Condition Depression Data and Solution - includes one of two data sets used in this scenario (the second is online described in the scenario file)
- Solution File - Part D Data_Sertraline HCL_by state_2013 - part of what teams should create for questions 1-4.
- Solution File - Part D Data_Sertraline HCL_by state_2014 - part of what teams should create for questions 1-4.
- Solution File - Part D Data_Sertraline HCL_by state_2015 - part of what teams should create for questions 1-4.
- Solution File - Part D Data_Sertraline HCL_by state_2016 - part of what teams should create for questions 1-4.
- Solution File - Part D Data_Sertraline HCL_by state All Years Combined - part of what eams should create for questions 1-4.