The program is a new part of The Actuarial Foundation’s Modeling the Future Challenge (MTFC). The program includes:
- Support to mathematics educators in underserved (title 1) schools through two programmatic components: (1) training, and (2) mentorship.
- Provides $600 training stipend for participating educators.
- Provides mentorship from MTFC Master Trainers and volunteer actuaries to help participating educators gain the skills and knowledge needed to be successful in the Challenge and implement it in the classroom.
- Available to mathematics educators at Title 1 schools in the United States.
What does your program include?
Part 1: Training Webinars
A training course for participating educators. Training includes:
- Training materials and example activities to help guide you through the Modeling the Future Challenege Actuarial Process curriculum.
- Instruction and guidance on implementing the Modeling the Future Challenge with students in your mathematics classroom.
- All training webinars are virtual. The training program is hosted by the Institute of Competition Sciences, MTFC Master Trainer educators, and volunteer actuaries.
Part 2: Optional Mentorship throughout the Modeling the Future Competition process
- During the following fall school semester, participating educators will be supported through a mentorship process to guide you through the early Modeling the Future Challenge processes.
- Mentorship provides support, activities, and tips to help engage your students in the Modeling the Future Challenge.
- Educators will be supported with a Master Trainer check-in and be provided with recommended steps for their teams to take to get into the Modeling the Future Challenge successfully.
Apply for Free Today!
Free applications for the Title I School Support Pilot Program are open and enrollments are filled on a first-come, first-served basis for eligible educators. To be eligible for the Title I School Support Pilot Program, educators must teach at a Title 1 school, in the United States. The educator must teach a relevant junior or senior level mathematics course, and must be interested and able to participate in the Modeling the Future Challenge. To apply, click the button below to complete an application form.
Thank you to the presenting sponsor of the Modeling the Future Challenge Title I School Support Pilot Program.
“Actuarial science is at the core of our business, and this partnership represents a meaningful, unique platform to provide opportunities for new and diverse talent to enter this important and rewarding field. F&G is honored to be part of this exciting and important pilot program that helps to increase and expand opportunities and inclusion to students who are traditionally underserved. What an amazing way to bring the actuary community together to engage and train educators ready to inspire and motivate these talented students.”
Paul Conner, SVP, Chief Financial Actuary
Thank you to the Champion Sponsor of the Modeling the Future Challenge Title I School Support Pilot Program.
CAS members are sought after globally for their insights and ability to apply analytics to solve insurance and risk management problems.
Learn more about The Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) by clicking the button below.
About the Modeling the Future Challenge
The Modeling the Future Challenge (MTFC) is the cornerstone educational program of The Actuarial Foundation. After four years of growth, the MTFC is becoming one of the premier academic competitions for high school students.
In 2016, the Foundation engaged the Institute of Competition Sciences – a leading academic challenge design firm – to develop the MTFC and to ensure that the Challenge has a lasting impact on students across the nation.
The MTFC challenges high school junior and senior level students to develop their own actuarial research project. Students learn to conduct data analysis, develop mathematical models, analyze risk, and make real-world recommendations. They are provided an Actuarial Process Guide and Project Guide to help them define their own research projects and understand the details of how to conduct a real-world risk analysis project.
Through the MTFC, $55,000 in college scholarships is awarded to students each year along with additional educator and school support awards.
Background on the Title I School Support Pilot Program
The Modeling the Future Challenge (MTFC) has been successfully deployed to over 2100 students across the country in its first four years. To launch the fifth year of the MTFC, The Actuarial Foundation is launching the Title I School Support Pilot Program to provide new resources specifically designed for underserved schools and students.
This pilot will accept 30 educators from Title 1 schools who will be supported through two primary components: (1) Summer Training, and (2) Fall Mentorship.
The following sections of this document define how the Title I School Support Pilot Program is organized and educators from Title 1 schools can apply to be a part of the 2021-22 program.