The Title I School Support Pilot Program is a new part of The Actuarial Foundation’s Modeling the Future Challenge (MTFC). The program includes:
- Support to mathematics educators in underserved (title 1) schools through two programmatic components: (1) Summer training, and (2) Fall mentorship.
- Provides $600 training stipend for participating educators.
- Provides mentorship from MTFC Master Trainers and volunteer actuaries to help participating educators gain the skills and knowledge needed to be successful in the Challenge and implement it in the classroom.
- Available to mathematics educators at Title 1 schools in Iowa and Illinois.
The time commitment for this program varies on the needs and participation of the enrolled educator. However, the minimum average time commitment is approximately 1 hour per week for the entire summer/fall program.
What does your program include?
Part 1: Summer Training [June 2021 – August 2021]
A six-week training course for participating educators. Training includes:
- Weekly 1 hr training webinar
- Training materials and example activities to help guide you through the MTFC Actuarial Process curriculum.
- Instruction and guidance on implementing the Modeling the Future Challenge with students in your mathematics classroom.
- The summer training program begins in mid-June and concludes at the beginning of August 2021. All training webinars are virtual. The summer training program is hosted by the Institute of Competition Sciences, MTFC Master Trainer educators, and volunteer actuaries.
Part 2: Fall Mentorship [September 2021 – November 2021]
- During the fall school semester, participating educators will be supported through a mentorship process over 10 weeks to guide you through the early Modeling the Future Challenge processes.
- Mentorship provides support, activities, and tips to help engage your students in the MTFC.
- Each week, educators will be supported with a Master Trainer check-in and be provided with recommended steps for their teams to take to get into the MTFC successfully.
Apply for Free Today!
Free applications for the Title I School Support Pilot Program are open and enrollments are filled on a first-come, first-served basis for eligible educators. To be eligible for the Title I School Support Pilot Program, educators must teach at a Title 1 school, in either Iowa or Illinois. The educator must teach a relevant junior or senior level mathematics course, and must be interested and able to participate in the MTFC for the 2021-22 season. To apply, click the button below to complete an application form. The application deadline is June 1, 2021 at 11:59pm CT.
Attend the Initial Interest Webinar
April 15, 2021 5 p.m. CT
An initial interest webinar to learn all the details to get started and have all your questions answered! Meet the Master Trainers, program facilitators, and join a community of other educators interested in the program.
Thank you to the presenting sponsor of the Modeling the Future Challenge Title I School Support Pilot Program.
Learn more about F&G Annuities & Life by clicking the button below.
About the Modeling the Future Challenge
The Modeling the Future Challenge (MTFC) is the cornerstone educational program of The Actuarial Foundation. After four years of growth, the MTFC is becoming one of the premier academic competitions for high school students.
In 2016, the Foundation engaged the Institute of Competition Sciences – a leading academic challenge design firm – to develop the MTFC and to ensure that the Challenge has a lasting impact on students across the nation.
The MTFC challenges high school junior and senior level students to develop their own actuarial research project. Students learn to conduct data analysis, develop mathematical models, analyze risk, and make real-world recommendations. They are provided an Actuarial Process Guide and Project Guide to help them define their own research projects and understand the details of how to conduct a real-world risk analysis project.
Through the MTFC, $55,000 in college scholarships is awarded to students each year along with additional educator and school support awards.
Background on the Title I School Support Pilot Program
The Modeling the Future Challenge (MTFC) has been successfully deployed to over 2100 students across the country in its first four years. To launch the fifth year of the MTFC, The Actuarial Foundation is launching the Title I School Support Pilot Program to provide new resources specifically designed for underserved schools and students.
This pilot will accept 30 educators from Title 1 schools who will be supported through two primary components: (1) Summer Training, and (2) Fall Mentorship.
The following sections of this document define how the Title I School Support Pilot Program is organized and educators from Title 1 schools can apply to be a part of the 2021-22 program.