The Modeling the Future Student Workshop is an in-person, on-campus experience for high school students to learn about actuarial science, the Modeling the Future Challenge process, and to practice a qualifying scenario for the competition. School groups can bring their mathematics or computer science classes to campus for a 1-day field trip experience to a partner university where they will be guided through an MTFC qualifying scenario by actuaries, faculty, and actuarial student leaders from the university.
During the event, your students will learn how actuaries approach data science, mathematical modeling, and risk analysis. By bringing your students to the MTFC Student Workshop, you will give your students a taste of college life and help prepare your entire class for success in the Modeling the Future Challenge.
Benefits for Educators:
- Motivate students to apply their analytical skills to solve real-world problems.
- Increase students’ interest in Mathematics, Analytics, and Actuarial Science.
- Learn about the MTFC and how to be successful in the qualifying scenarios and project phases of the competition.
Benefits for Students:
- Get guidance on preparing for the Challenge.
- Receive help identifying topics for your MTFC project.
- Collaborate with college students and faculty on past MFTC qualifying scenarios.
- Learn about exciting careers in Actuarial Science.
- Meet with current students, practicing actuaries, and professors.
- Learn about the Actuarial Science Program at our partner university, take a tour of the campus, and enjoy lunch on us!
Funding is available to support costs for travel and substitute teacher coverage for qualifying teachers. Limited availability. Fill out the form here to express interest in attending a workshop near you. We will contact you in late summer to let you know if an event is being held and to secure your spot!
Workshops will be held between October 16 – November 10, 2023.